Defense & Security Current Affairs in November 2020
Read Current Affairs on Quickbytes and stay updated with latest Current Affairs events on daily basis. Our daily Current affairs on Defense and Security in November 2020 are for all those aspirants preparing for various competitive exams and entrance tests like Bank PO & Clerk, IBPS PO, Insurance SSC, PSC, UPSC and more.
Current Affairs- Defense and Security -26th November 2020
-By, Dr. Rituparna Dubey
Recently the Varunasatra was inducted by the Navy.
- The first Varunastra is an indigenously designed and developed heavyweight torpedo
- It has been inducted by the Indian Navy.
- The Varunastra has been manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BEL).
- This weapon has a range of 40 kilometers.
- It is expected to travel at a speed of up to 70 km/hr.
- The torpedo can carry a warhead weighing 250 kg.
American Predator drones on lease for surveillance in the Indian Ocean Region
-By, Dr. Rituparna Dubey
Indian Navy has inducted two American Predator drones.
- It will strengthen defense and security cooperation between India and the US.
- Sea Guardian drones that can stay airborne for about 36 hours.
- It can also cruise a height of 40,000 feet and can be used for surveillance along India’s land borders including Ladakh.
Current Affairs- Defense and Security -24th November 2020
-By, Dr. Rituparna Dubey
India - Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise has commenced in the Andaman Sea
- Indian Navy hosted 27th India-Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise SIMBEX-20
- It is being conducted in the Andaman Sea
- SIMBEX aims to enhance mutual inter-operability between the two nations.
- The bilateral maritime practice is a platform to imbibe best practices from each other.
- SIMBEX series of exercises b/w India & Singapore being conducted annually since 1994
Current Affairs- Defense and Security -23rd November 2020
-By, Dr. Rituparna Dubey
30th India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) was recently held.
- The 30th edition of the Indo-Thai CORPAT was held between the Indian and Royal Thai Navy.
- INS Karmuk, an indigenous-built Missile Corvette, and Thailand HTMS Kraburi a Chao Phraya Class Frigate participated in the CORPAT.
ADB approves loan to West Bengal
-By, Dr. Rituparna Dubey
The Asian Development Bank has approved a loan for West Bengal.
- $50mn loan was approved by ADB
- This loan is to improve resource planning in the state.
- This shall also bolster operational efficiencies and resource planning and management.
- The loan is expected to support the integration of financial and information systems.
- The expansion of automation reform will also be encouraged.
Asian Development Bank
- ADB’s Head Quarters is in Mandaluyong, Phillippines
- It was founded on 19 December 1966
Current Affairs- Defense and Security -22nd November 2020
SITMEX 2020 begins in Andaman Sea
Trilateral naval exercise SITMEX 2020 has commenced in the Andaman Sea. India, Singapore and Thailand have participated in the two-day naval exercise that started on 22nd November 2020.
Format of the Exercise- Non-Contact and Sea-only
- The naval exercise aims to strengthen the interoperability between the navies of the three nations.
- The 2020 edition of SITMEX will involve war-at-sea exercise and the complex naval manoeuvres.
- ASW Corvette, INS Kamorta and GM Corvette INS Karmuk are representing Indian Navy this year. HTMS Kraburi is representing Thailand Navy and RSS Intrepid and RSS Endeavour are representing Republic of Singapore Navy.
- SITMEX was announced by PM Narendra Modi in 2018.
- SITMEX 2019 was the first edition of the trilateral naval exercise held at Andaman & Nicobar Islands in September last year.
Current Affairs- Defense and Security – 20th November 2020
Indian Army approves OshoCorp Global for manufacturing Specialized Tank Ammunition
OshoCorp Global has become the first private company to get approval for manufacturing specialized ammunitions for battle tanks. The firm will design and manufacture ammunitions for the T-72 and T-90 Battle Tanks.
- T-72 and T-90 are the main battle tanks of Indian Army.
- The project has been sanctioned at cost of Rs. 2,300 crores
- The firm will manufacture 125 mm Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding-Sabot (APFSDS) ammunition, which is primarily used in the battle tanks.
- The ammunitions will have a Depth of Penetration (DoP) OF 530mm and above.
- OshoCorp Global will also manufacture Auxiliary Power Units of the T-72 and T-90 Battle tanks. The APU manufacturing and supply project has been sanctioned by the Indian Army at an estimated budget of Rs. 1325 crores.
- OshoCorp has its headquarters at New Delhi and Ashutosh Khate is the CEO of the defense firm.
Current Affairs- Defense and Security -19th November 2020
Defense minister launches ‘Land Management System’ for managing defense land
Union Minister of Defense, Rajnath Singh has virtually launched a portal named as ‘Land Management System (LMS)’ for managing the lands under the Authority of Defense. It has been developed by Department of Defense in association with Director General Defense Estates (DGDE) and Armed Forces.
- The portal aims to improve the overall management of defense lands. It will bring transparency and improve efficiency of the Department of Defense by reducing the encroachments on defense lands.
- The requests of Defense Land Management received by the Department of Defense will be digitalized under the portal.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) has been integrated to the LMS Portal by the Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG), Gujarat for improving the decision making process regarding the defense lands.
Current Affairs- Defense and Security- 13th November 2020
DRDO successfully test-fires QRSAM
Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has successfully test-fired Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile System (QRSAM) ON Friday, 13th November 2020 from the Integrated Test Range in Balasore of Odisha.
- QRSAM is a modern canister-based missile system which can be transported and stored easily
- It can be stored and operated from specially designed compartments.
- The newly developed missile system attained a direct-hit on the pilotless target aircraft.
- The missile system has been manufactured by Bharat Electronics Ltd, Bharat Dynamics Ltd and Larson & Toubro (L&T).
- The missile has a range of 25-30 km and is fully capable of providing aerial defense on the move.
- The newly developed QRSAMs will be inducted in the Indian Army in 2021.
- The missile system can be configured on a maneuverable and mobile platform.
Current Affairs- Defense and Securities – 12th November 2020
Indian Navy unveils INS Vagir at Mazagon Dock
Indian Navy has unveiled its new submarine INS Vagir at the Mazagon Dock of Mumbai on 12th November 2020. It is Indian Navy’s 5th Scorpene-class submarine. It started its service in the waters of Arabian Sea after the launch.
Launched by- Shripad Naik, Minister of State for Defense
Manufactured by- DCNS (Direction des Constructions Navales)
Name of the Project- Project- 75
- INS Vagir was built at the facility of Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDSL).
- The all new submarine is capable of carrying out anti- surface and anti-submarine strikes along with sea-mine laying, intelligence gathering and surveillance.
- The name ‘Vagir’ has been taken from a deep sea predator, Sand Fish
- INS Vagir is the 5th submarine of the 6 Scorpene-class submarines after INS Kalvari, Khanderi, Karanj and Vela.
Current Affairs-Defense and Security- 9th November 2020
Rajnath Singh inaugurates A-SAT Missile Model
Union Minister of Defense, Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) Missile Model at the Defense Research and Development Organizaton (DRDO) headquarters at New Delhi. The model is seen as a symbol of technological advancement of the country in the field of defense.
Date of Inauguration- 9th November 2020
Looked over by- Ministry of Defense
- India successfully test fired the A-SAT missile on 27th March 2019 from APJ Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
- A-SAT Missile System was developed under ‘Mission Shakti’
- India is the 4th country to achieve the capabilities of outer space warfare after Russia, USA and China.
- A-SAT is a missile system that can destroy the target satellite present in the Lower Earth Orbit (LEO).
Current Affairs- Defense News- 5th November 2020
India conducts ‘Bull Strike’ exercise in Andaman & Nicobar
India has conducted Tri-Service Combat Exercise Bull Strike in the Teresa Island of Andaman & Nicobar. The 3 day military exercise concluded on 5th November.
Name of the Exercise- Tri Service Combat Exercise (Bull Strike)
Place of Exercise- Teresa Islands, Nicobar
Conducted By- Andaman & Nicobar Command (ANC)
Participants- Three Service Components (Army, Navy and Air Force) of ANC, Elements of Indian Army’s Parachute Brigade, MARCOS (Marine Commando Forces) and Special Force
- Activities like Combat Free Fall and Paradrop, Special Heli Borne Operations, ground based maneuvers, tactics and procedures were exercised.
- Search and Rescue (SAR) and Medical Evacuation procedures were also rehearsed by the participants.
- General Manoj Pandey is the Commander in Chief of ANC.
Sagar Kavach Exercise starts at Paradip Coast.
Joint Coastal Security Exercise ‘Sagar Kavach’ has started at the Paradip Coast of Odisha. It is a two day exercise which is being carried out by the states of West Bengal and Odisha.
- The Joint exercise involves the participation of more than 10 departments from the states of West Bengal and Odisha
- The exercise includes Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard, Odisha Police, Local Fishermen, Forest Department and the Port Marine Department.
- All the participants have been equally divided into Red and Green Forces in which one of the team will infiltrate and the other will prevent the attacks.
Current Affairs-Defense News on 4th November 2020
India tests advanced version of Pinaka rockets successfully.
India has successfully test fired advanced version of Pinaka Rocket System. The advanced version will have more range as compared to the older one.
Name of the rocket system- Pinaka MBRL System
Developed by- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
Test Site- Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, Odisha
Date of test- 4th November 2020
- The new and advanced version will replace the existing Pinaka Mk-I rockets with a range of 37 km.
- The newer version has a range of 45 km with pin-point accuracy.
- It is shorter than the older version of the rocket.
- A total of rockets were fired back to back rockets were fired that completed the tests successfully.
- The advanced system will be deployed at the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Second batch of Rafale Fighter Jets arrive India
The second batch of 3 French Rafale jets arrive at the Jamnagar Base after flying continuously for 7000 km from France. India received the first batch of 5 fighter jets on 29th July 2020.
Designed and Built by- Dassault Aviation
Category- Twin-engine multi-role fighter aircraft
- Rafale fighter jets have a maximum rabe of 3700 kilometers.
- It can achieve a top speed of 1389 km/h
- India had signed an intergovernmental agreement with France for 36 Rafale Fighter Jets worth Rs. 59,000 crores 4 years back.
- The first batch has been already deployed to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the conflict zone of Ladakh.
- The 2nd batch of Rafale fighter flew continuously for 8 hours to reach India directly from France after refueling mid-air for three times.
Also stay updated with :